On July 1, 2022, the Attorney Generals’ Office (AGO) published a Model Use of Force Policy that provides guidance on use of force and de-escalation tactics. We believe it will:
- Reduce the amount and nature of physical force used.
- Limit the use of deadly force and save lives.
- Provide consistency across the state so community members can expect the same quality of policing everywhere in the state.
- Be used by the Criminal Justice Training Commission as a statewide training standard for recruits and incumbents.
To demonstrate support of the AGO’s model policy, the Riveters’ Justice System Committee sent letters to Blaine, Everson, Ferndale, Lynden, Sumas, and Whatcom County law enforcement agencies asking them to:
- Submit proof to the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) by the December 1, 2022 deadline that they have complied with the new use of force law (RCW 10.120.020).
- Adopt the AGO’s Model Use of Force Policy or a more restrictive policy.
- Not adopt Lexipol’s template policy, as they tend to include the bare minimum requirements.
- Report back to us on how they will comply with use of force policy requirements.
We look forward to hearing back from these agencies on how they intend to comply with the use of force policy requirements.