We strive to change how people in Whatcom County experience the justice system on a daily basis. This requires increasing transparency, and holding government officials and employees accountable.
We prioritize actions that create a more equitable justice system for Black, Indigenous, people of color, and people who are marginalized; reduce trauma within the justice system.
We believe everyone in our community is entitled to feel safe.
Learn More About Injustices in Our Justice System
- Justice Project (Whatcom County)
- Race and Washington’s Criminal Justice System 2021 Report to the WA Supreme Court (Seattle University School of Law)
- 2021 Police Reform Laws: Legislative Intent and Community Impact (Justice System Committee)
- Racial Disparities in Whatcom County (Racial Equity Commission)
- Whatcom Jail Justice Reports (Restorative CommUnity Coalition)
- Justice Innovation and Alternatives to Incarceration (Bellingham City Council)
- The Untold Story: Policing (podcast)
- 13th (movie – free on Youtube)
- The Marshall Project (news articles)
- Cities Aim to Remove Police from Most Psychiatric, Substance Abuse Calls (NPR)
Latest JSC Posts
Read calls to action and informational posts at this link.
To learn about the Riveters’ positions on this topic, we recommend reading the Justice System section of the current Riveters platform.
Interested in learning more about the Riveters’ Justice System Committee?
Email us at email@example.com.